Monday, December 10, 2012

"My little bonfire"

Diary of Sam

Age 14
Another evening entertaining father’s stupid bores of friends. I sometimes wonder if they have a brain among them. When Delam started on his rude comments. I had had enough. I stopped playing and said aloud “My dear Delam- sometimes I need what only YOU can provide -- your ABSENCE.” The room erupted into laughter (even father laughed at first) Delam did not. He scowled hotly then jumped up from his chair and said - “you little whore.” I dashed over a chair and out the room. From what I can tell he stumbled rather early on in his chase.

Later father scolded me and told me never to embarass him like that ever again. He said if I ever did that again and he even raised his fist as if to strike me, but mother came near at that moment. Instead, he turned toward her and spat on floor at her feet, and reeled off cursing. Mother looked at me with more scorn in her eyes and hobbled down the hall after him.

Ellis came by much later that evening and offered me some comfort. She said she had been listening behind the wall when it happened and had laughed her head off.  Delam had deserved every blister from the tongue lashing I gave him. She said "you have a tongue on you my little bonfire,  but you must be careful for it could get you in trouble. And then she added wistfully, and I may not always be nearby.

No comments:

Post a Comment