Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Settling In at the Edge


We had finally arrived.  They set us up at the inn, gave us rooms and thanked us.  We visited his holy Jerberz but he was tending to the injured. We helped for a little while then came back and got some food and drink.

Later the Edge held a service for those who had died during the a apparition's assault and for Katrin.  His holy Jerberz, wise and wizened, frail and potent at the same time, presided over the cerermony.  To my surprise the lovely and very unassuming elf with whom we were speaking earlier in the tavern turned out to be the leader of the Edge.  She is powerful but has the simplest of manners.  She asked me of my family and other matters and of my familiarity with a bow.  Slightly embarassed, I said knew it a little  but was more skilled with the crossbow.  She responded "ahhh yes, from your father the human side" She also asked if I knew of my "cloud" and was forgiving when it was clear that I was baffled and dumbstruck.  She smiled gently and told me there was much to learn about my proud elven heritage.  I felt less embarassed and more at ease though I must admit that at first I was suspicious.  I am not used to being treated nicely from the start.  I feel like I have had to earn any courtesies and niceties from others (with Sveta and Ellis as the exceptions).  It became clear though, that she was genuine.  She also gently suggested that I write a letter home for it might take a while to get back.   She seemed to have the kind of well-meaning concern that a mother might have.  I do not know why, but I want to do well by her.  She is right of course. I should write home.  I shall try to tackle this but I will have to write in code it in case it is somehow intercepted and falls into the hands of those who would wish me a less than bountiful existence.


No comments:

Post a Comment